Friday 2 March 2007

The return of the Snake Oil Salesman

Being involved in the craziness of modern technological wonders, I used to travel a lot. And I mean a lot. All over the world. In fact, I'm building a house and the designs I come up with are - well looking like hotel rooms. So eventually, as travelling goes, I ended up Down Under.

This is where I got introduced to "The Aussie Burger", drive through liquor stores and "The Snake Oil Salesman". Skippy and the adventures of Australia , however, will find have to wait. I want to introduce the "The Snake Oil Salesman".

After fierce battles with stubborn customers claiming that this is not what they wanted, I decided to reconsider my pecking order in the greater scheme of things. So I whipped out the old chart of what was then known as "My Company". And that's where I first encountered him. Cliff actually crept up, looked over my shoulder and slammed his finger against my chart"That's him! That's your Snake Oild Salesman." And boy did he create pain and tears. A true villain!

That was my last outing for "My Company". Destiny called. I listened. And got more than I bargained for.

So today was exactly 2 years 1 month and 3 days after I left Kangaroo Island, home of Skippy! And today was tough. Real tough. Like sitting on the toilet staring at an empty roll tough. Today, I saw an old enemy. I had a conference call with the more scaly, improved version of "The Snake Oil Salesmen"!

This time he has outdone himself. He has gained technical skills. Venturing into my domain, insulting my intelligence and giving me brain-freeze! You see, as my destiny followed a strange path, I ended up at "My Company 3". Number 1 was OK - as the most amazing thing happened there. Number 2 sucked so much that I considered leaving the country to get as far away as possible.

"My Company 3" has brought back a familiar taste: travelling. Although not as much. And having the tremendous luck I have (like buying 63 lottery tickets and not even having 3 numbers in a row), I got involved with a project that forces me to join "The Snake Oil Salesmen".
This guy can talk. Can make you feel like the biggest idiot on earth. In fact, after leaving the conference call I was thinking that my parents have spelled my name incorrectly since birth. So I now have to come up with a strategy. I need to be as skillful as a ninja, without the blood an black pajamas though.

And on Monday, I have to go eye to eye with the enemy. So, no more fun . . . it's preparation time.

So why am I writing all this down. See it as a warning. See as my way of guiding my fellow man through the pitfalls and dangers of modern society. Watch and learn! Evil is back, and it's got a name.

"The Snake Oil Salesman"!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't we all know people like that! There's just no outwitting them. Choose your weapon, in this case a rope, and sit back. They always hang themselves ;)